Practical Nursing Admission Criteria
Since admission to Practical Nursing is competitive, meeting the minimum requirements does not guarantee admittance to the program. All components of the approval process are considered in making the decision to accept a Practical Nursing student.
It is mandatory that all applicants who have been accepted into the program attend student orientation. Date and time will be provided.
In addition, these prerequisites are essential for the prospective Practical Nursing student.
- Minimum age of 17
- Proof of United States citizenship, permanent residency, or eligible non-citizenship
- Proficient score in ATI Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS) (current national average established by ATI) of reading, math, science, and English and language usage (three attempts allowed)
- Go to Assessment Technologies Institute LLC to register for the TEAS exam and refer to Nursing Entrance Exam Instructions on this website for further information
Acceptance into the Practical Nursing program requires that the student has successfully submitted, completed, or demonstrated the following.
- Hunter Business School Information Sheet, provided by the Admissions department
- Official copy of high school diploma or General Educational Development (GED®)
- Official copy of transcript(s) from all institutions previously attended, if any
- Proof of any certifications, if any, such as Certified Nursing Assistant, Medical Assistant, Home Health Aide, etc.
- Proof of cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) certification, either current or pending
- Documentation of previous employment in health care, if applicable
- Background check waiver, which will be explained by your Admissions representative
- Interview with the Admissions department and/or Nursing faculty or director
- Three letters of recommendation
Evidence of good health is required through the following.
- Physical exam by a New York State licensed medical practitioner, including proof of current Mantoux test, tetanus, hepatitis B (or a waiver), seasonal influenza and other specified immunizations; drug screen; and positive titers for rubella, varicella, and rubeola
- Compliance with all Core Performance Standards for clinical practice for admission (see additional form)
- Current CPR certification for health care providers and BLS (Basic Life Support)
Since admission to the Practical Nursing program is competitive, meeting the minimum admission requirements does not guarantee admittance to the Practical Nursing program. All components of the admission requirements are considered in making the decision to admit a Practical Nursing student.
For additional admission criteria, please see the Admissions section in the school catalog.