Diagnostic Medical Sonography Admission Criteria
Please note that meeting the minimum requirements described below—including conducting an interview with the program chairperson—does not guarantee acceptance into the Diagnostic Medical Sonography diploma program. Due to limited capacity, only a select number of students can be accepted.
All components of the approval process are considered in making the decision to accept a Diagnostic Medical Sonography student. For additional admission criteria, please see the Admissions section in the School Catalog.
Please note that there have been changes to the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program since publication of the School Catalog. You can find current information here.
Steps to Be Considered for Acceptance
Students applying for admission to the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program must complete and submit these items.
- Hunter Business School Information Sheet, provided by the Admissions department
- Interview with the Admissions department and Diagnostic Medical Sonography chairperson
- Official copy of high school diploma or transcript, Test Assessing Secondary Completion (TASC™), General Equivalency Diploma (GED®), or equivalent
- Official copy of transcript documenting a minimum of an associate degree granted or higher, equivalent number of semester credits, or two-year full-time diploma or certificate program granted by an accredited institution
- Transcript must include grade of “C” or better for the following college level, credit bearing courses: English/communication skills, algebra or higher level math, human anatomy and physiology, and physics.
- Hunter Admissions will provide further detail regarding requirements for these courses.
- Official copy of any or all transcripts from each institution previously attended
- Failure to submit transcripts from all institutions previously attended, regardless of status upon leaving those institutions, may result in denial.
- Essay (Admissions department to supply essay topic)
- Three original copies of signed recommendation forms completed by a professional, such as an employer, colleague, educator, or medical professional
- All forms should be given to the Admissions department at the interview and must include contact information for the individual providing the reference.
- Career Observation Verification Form
- This verifies that you have spent a day of observation at an ultrasound (sonography) department.
- It is not mandatory for admission to the program, but highly recommended.
Hunter Business School now requires all newly enrolled students in the Diagnostic Medical Sonography program to be COVID vaccinated. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a person is considered fully COVID vaccinated two weeks after receiving the second dose of a two-step immunization (Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech) or one dose of a one-step immunization (J&J/Janssen). Students must provide proof of complete vaccination to the program chairperson prior to orientation.
It is mandatory that all applicants who have been accepted into the Diagnostic Medical Sonography diploma program attend student orientation. Date and time will be provided.